519 Church Street Room TBA or 304
Proposer: Jon Aldridge
- Is loneliness always a negative?
- Contrast being lonely with being alone.
- What kinds of loneliness are there?
- How have you experienced loneliness?
- What does it feel like to be lonely?
- What have you done to avoid loneliness?
- How does age (1) or physical impairment affect loneliness?
- The National Health Service in the UK has begun treating loneliness as a public health issue. To what extent do you agree or disagree with that position?
- Actual and perceived social isolation can increase the risk of mortality by ~30% (2)(3).
- What are some possible opposite states of mind to loneliness?
- Some may be positive, some negative.
- Is there an unspoken stigma of loneliness?
- People tend to be reluctant to say they are lonely (1)(3).
- What kind of support services should/could be/are available for lonely people?
- Are humanists more prone to feeling lonely than individuals with supernatural or religious beliefs (4)?
(1) age-related UK helpline, with emphasis on loneliness
(2) abstract of research paper on social isolation
(3) Globe and Mail article
(4) brief Sydney Morning Herald (AUS) article